ZocdocAnswersDo I have neuritis?

Question

Do I have neuritis?

Recently my eye has started to hurt and I'm having trouble with my vision. I'm even having trouble seeing colors the way I normally do. Is this neuritis?

Answer

Eye pain and trouble with vision is always a medical emergency. You should go see your eye doctor immediately or, if you can't get in to see your eye doctor quickly, you should go to an emergency room for immediate evaluation. There are many potential causes of this problem. Neuritis, which is an inflammation of the nerve that supplies the eye, is certainly one possible cause. Other causes would include an infection in the eye or a scratch or ulcer on the surface of the eye. Also, this could be an inflammation of the structures of the eye themselves, or it could be glaucoma, which is a sudden buildup in pressure inside of the eye. Your eye doctor will be able to perform a thorough examination of your eye to help figure out what is going on. Based on what they find, they will recommend the appropriate treatment. Once again, I can't emphasize enough how potentially serious these symptoms may be. You have to get medical attention as soon as possible because, if this does turn out to be a serious eye problem, treatment has to be started right away to prevent lasting damage to the eye and potential loss of vision.