Why does my throat itch?

My throat doesn't hurt, but it itches right now. Its like I want to put something down there to scratch it. No pain though. Why would my throat just be itchy?
There are a few different potential causes here. One is that you are just in the early stages of getting a cold or a throat infection. Sometimes, before you develop runny nose or sore throat, the first symptom might be just an itch in the back of your throat. Another possibility is nasal allergies or sinus congestion. In these conditions, mucus drips down the back of the throat and this creates a sort of tickling sensation in the throat. If you have some nasal congestion or stuffiness, these conditions would be more likely. Your primary care doctor could confirm the diagnosis with a brief physical examination and could also recommend a treatment to help the symptoms go away. Finally, an itch in the throat can sometimes be sign of an allergic reaction. If you also have a skin rash, of if you notice any swelling of your face, tongue, or lips, or if you have any trouble breathing, you would need to see a doctor right away as these could be signs of a potentially serious allergic reaction. Please discuss with your doctor.