ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do about my dry nose?

Question

What can I do about my dry nose?

The inside of my nose is extremely dry. I don't know what to do. It is starting to crack and become irritated. How can I stop this? Is there a spray I can use to make my nose less dry?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this very uncomfortable problem! Most of the time, dry nose occurs just because of exposure to cold dry air. You can definitely make this better by using a standard nasal saline spray, of which you should be able to find several options in any local pharmacy. Also, you need to make sure that you are giving the irritated nasal passages time to heal. Avoid picking, squeezing, or otherwise manipulating the sore areas, because this will just tend to make things worse. You can also try applying a small amount of Vaseline or another lubricant right at the outside edge of each nostril. Sometimes, irritation and cracking of the nasal passages occurs because of allergies. If you also have significant nasal congestion, sneezing, or cough, these might be part of what is going on. If so, nasal saline spray will probably help some but it most likely will not be enough. You should see your doctor who can prescribe you a medication to help reduce the allergy symptoms. Taking this medication regularly should help to clear the problem up quickly. Regardless, you should go see your doctor as soon as possible if the problem persists.