ZocdocAnswersCan you cure someone if they snore?

Question

Can you cure someone if they snore?

My husband has an enormous snoring problem. I want it to stop because I can't take it anymore. Can you cure snoring? Is there anything he can do to make it stop?

Answer

Snoring can be a very difficult problem to cure, which is unfortunate because of the strain that it can place on relationships and also because it is such a common problem. One important note is that snoring is often associated with obstructive sleep apnea, which has been found to be involved in serious health problems down the road. This is more common in those who are obese, and is often noted originally by loud snoring and daytime fatigue. For many people, losing weight is the best answer for both sleep apnea and snoring. This is because both have some of the same factors which are involved: extra soft tissue that obstructs the airway. By reducing the amount of soft tissue, as with weight loss or surgery, the problem will often improve or even resolve. With regards to surgery, there are many options available, but not all of them work and some of them can actually make it more difficult to tolerate CPAP. CPAP is suggested for those who have obstructive sleep apnea, and works by forcing air into the airway at a moderate pressure which helps to push the soft tissue out of the way so that breathing is not obstructed. Your husband should discuss his snoring with his physician.