How do people get molluscum contagiosum?

I'm pretty sure the red spots on my stomach are molluscum contagiosum. I know a lot of people get if from having sex. Is there any other way I could have got it? I can't believe I have an STD.
Molluscum contagiosum is a very common viral infection of the skin. Actually, most cases of molluscum are not caused by sexual activity; the virus is shed from the bumps on the skin, and any contact with the bumps (or with contaminated clothing, etc) can spread the virus. Molluscum contagiosum typically caused white, round spots that are small and may have a small dimple in the middle of them. The spots from molluscum contagiosum are not typically red or inflamed, unless you have been scratching at them. For this reason, I think it is worth going to see your primary care doctor to help you figure out what is going on. There are many other potential causes of these spots other than molluscum contagiosum, including bug bites (spider bites, bed bug bites, and others), eczema, and a skin infection. Your doctor will take a good look at the spots and will be able to properly diagnose them. Based on what they find, they will recommend a treatment. If, as you suggest, they do turn out to be molluscum contagiosum, they should be easy to treat. Molluscum spots can be frozen off, or there are multiple topical creams that can be applied to help them go away. Please discuss further with your doctor!