How do you make sure a cut doesn't turn into a scar?

I don't want a scar on my face, but I got a bad cut on the bridge of my nose. How do you make sure a cut doesn't scar? Is there no way around it?
Sorry to hear about the cut on your face! This is a great question, and there are indeed several things that you can do to keep down the scarring as the cut heals. First of all, it is very important that you don't pick at the scar or at the scab. The area must be left to heal on its own, and any manipulation of the area with your hands raises the chance that the area will get infected or bleed, both of which will raise the chances of a larger scar. Another thing you can do is cover the cut with a thin layer of an occlusive ointment, like antibacterial ointment or vaseline. What this does is keep the air out and allow the new skin cells to grow into the cut smoothly and quickly. When the cut does heal finally, you may have a small discolored area of new skin. However, as long as you keep this well moisturized with a good facial lotion and avoid sun damage (wear sun screen) the color should fade slowly over a few weeks to months. I recommend that you talk to your primary care doctor or a dermatologist to get this process moving forward correctly, and to make sure there aren't additional complications.

9815 E Harry St

• Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Andrew Kirschner
    Dr. Andrew Kirschner DO
    1 Belmont Avenue
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004