Is my ant bite normal?

I recently was bit by an ant, at least I believe it was an ant bite. I have had interesting reactions to ants ever since I was little. The area around the bit will be pink and swell, comonly twice the size of a quarter. That is how these bites started, but now they are speckled in appearance. It doesn't look like a bunch of bites close together, it looks like a localized rash. It's dark red in color. Is this normal?
When an ant bites you, it injects some saliva which contains chemicals which your body may react to. The most common reaction would be redness and swelling, as well as itching. In some people, who are more sensitive to these chemicals, this swelling and redness may be quite pronounced, as it sounds like it is in your case. If the swelling is significant, there may even be some bruising or breakdown of small blood vessels in the area of the bite, which could lead to the dark red, speckled appearance that the bite currently has in your case. I would suggest that you go see your primary care doctor about this issue for a couple of reasons. First, it is important to make sure that the bite is healing appropriately. Any insect bite does have the potential to become infected, and your doctor can rule this out. Secondly, it is important, given the significance of the swelling you experience, to make sure that you do not have an allergic reaction to ant bites. If left own their own, allergic reactions to insect bites can be very serious, even leading a life threatening reaction called anaphylaxis, which involves trouble breathing. Your doctor will be able to evaluate you for a serious allergy to ant bites.

• Dr. Camilo Rincon
    Dr. Camilo Rincon MD
    7824 Lake Underhill Road
    Orlando, FL 32822
  • Dr. Syed Mujeeb
    Dr. Syed Mujeeb MD
    411 W. Parker Rd
    Houston, TX 77091
  • Dr. Alex Bernstein
    Dr. Alex Bernstein MD
    3039 Ocean Parkway
    Brooklyn, NY 11235