ZocdocAnswersDid I contract herpes from my boyfriend?

Question

Did I contract herpes from my boyfriend?

I have herpes but my bf says he doesn't. i was a virgin. is this posssible? could this be a misdiagnosis or what? i was a virgin before he and I had sex.

Answer

It is well known that genital herpes is a sexually transmitted disease (STD). It is caused by the herpes simplex viruses type 1 (HSV-1) or type 2 (HSV-2). However, HSV-2 is the cause of most genital herpes and is very common in population as carrier. Most infected individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. Once an outbreak occurs, it may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they happen. Typically, another outbreak can appear weeks or months after the first outbreak, and the number of outbreaks tends to decrease over a period of years. But the infection can stay in the body indefinitely. Although you didn't state what type of herpes you have, it is likely HSV-2. Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection. Transmission can occur from an an infected partner who does not have a visible symptoms. Most individuals with HSV-2 infection never have sores, or they have very mild signs that can be mistaken for a flu or that they do not even notice or that they mistake for another skin condition. Therefore, most people infected with HSV-2 may not know that they are infected. I would suggest a consultation with a primary care provider to discuss this issue in detail and to answer any further questions you may have.