Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What causes pink discharge?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat causes pink discharge?

I was due for my period about 2 days ago, but a day before i was due i began having a light pink discharge. Then last night i woke up at 3 a.m. with a very uncomfortable itching and burning sensation in my pubic area. I have been uncomfortable all day and the discharge is still there. The consistency is kind of gritty, not milky.

Usually pink discharge is just vaginal discharge that is mixed with a little bit of blood. Any change in your vaginal discharge, especially if it is accompanied by uncomfortable itching or burning, should be evaluated by a physician. In your case, I think there are several possibilities. The most likely possibility is that you have a vaginal infection. Infections with yeast, bacteria, or parasites could be responsible. A standard yeast infection usually causes a whitish discharge with some itching in the area. Bacterial vaginosis (or BV for short) is an infection with a bacteria that can cause a smelly discharge with some irritation in the vulvar area. I think this is the most likely possibility in you. An infection with trichomonas can also cause these symptoms. This is a parasite that is transmitted sexually. Other sexually transmitted infections are also possible. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough pelvic exam. A sample of your discharge should be analyzed under a microscope to look for evidence of any of these infections. Hopefully, this will give you the answers you need and treatment if necessary. Good luck.

Need more info?

See a doctor today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.

Find doctors by city
Find doctors by specialty
Find doctors by popular insurances