Are high triglycerides caused by an unhealthy lifestyle?

I am 45 years old and my doctor told me that my test result showed my triglyceride is rocket high - 1100mg/dl. My doctor told me it has got to be generic because I am not that obese (5ft8 height, 169lbs) . I admit I eat a lot of carb and sometimes fatty food. Thanks !
First, I will say that your triglycerides are very, very high. They are high enough that you (without question) need to be on a medication to reduce them. Triglyceride is a fancy term that is used to describe fat. Having high triglycerides typically means that you are eating a diet higher in fat particularly unsaturated fats. In your case, I think that your triglyceride level is caused by both your diet and your genes. A level that high would be tough to get with diet alone, even if you were eating only cheeseburgers. Either way you should be treated soon. There are complications of having triglycerides that high. People that have this problem typically have higher rates of heart disease. A more immediate risk for you is triglyceride induced pancreatitis. This is when the pancreas becomes very inflamed and pancreatic cells begin to die. Pancreatitis is very painful. If you develop pain in your abdomen that you can't explain from something else, you should go to the hospital right away to be evaluated. You should schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she may be comfortable placing you on the right medication for your hypertriglyceridemia. If your doctor is not comfortable, then you can get a referral to an endocrinologist.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024