ZocdocAnswersWhy has my voice become so hoarse?

Question

Why has my voice become so hoarse?

I'm not sure why, but for about a month or so my voice has been very hoarse. I don't feel sick and my throat doesn't hurt. I haven't lost my voice either, it is just hoarse. Why?

Answer

Hoarseness that persists for such a long amount of time should be evaluated by an otolaryngology- head and neck surgeon (who is also known as an ear-nose-and throat doctor, or ENT). While it is uncommon for there to be a serious cause, hoarseness can represent many things, from chronic inflammation due to smoking or gastric reflux disease, to callouses on the vocal cords, to even something as serious as cancer. While the absence of pain is reassuring, it is still important to be seen by a doctor in a timely fashion if your problem hasn't gone away. He or she will need to look at your vocal cords themselves, which can be done either with a mirror or with a camera which is placed down your nose in a non-painful and very well tolerated manner. After that brief examination and listening to your voice, it is likely that he or she will be able to make recommendations that should have you, and your voice feeling and sounding better very quickly. Please speak with your doctor in the near future about your long standing problem.