ZocdocAnswersWhat is this vibrating feeling in my hand?

Question

What is this vibrating feeling in my hand?

My right hand feels like it is vibrating on the inside. You can't really see it shaking, but there is a shaking feeling inside. Is this some kind of arthritis? What's going on with my hand?

Answer

This is a very unusual symptom, and I am not entirely sure what to make of it. You should definitely see your primary care doctor, especially if the symptom persists, so that they can examine your hand closely and help you figure out what is going on. I do thing that this is unlikely to be arthritis. Arthritis usually results in pretty clear pain within the joints of the fingers or wrist, and this does not sound like what you are describing. One possibility might be carpal tunnel syndrome. This is a condition in which the nerve that runs down the middle of the wrist becomes inflamed, usually from an over use injury, like typing at a keyboard for prolonged periods of time. Usually, carpal tunnel syndrome causes pain or numbness or tingling in the fingers and palm of the hand. However, because it involves a nerve, it could theoretically give other strange nerve sensations, such as a 'vibrating' sense like you are describing. One other possibility might be fatigue or strain of the muscles in the hand, as fatigued muscles will sometimes feel tight and might even 'twitch,' which could give the vibration sensation. Again, please see your doctor for an evaluation.