What should I do if I am addicted to caffeine?

I realized that I am addicted to caffeine. I can't stop drinking coffee throughout the day at work and I also drink energy drinks and soda too. How can I get myself off of caffeine? I don't want to end up really tired or have headaches at work but I definitely want to stop?
I think that it is a great idea that you are going to try to cut back on the amount of caffeine that you are drinking. Also, I think the idea of cutting back on energy drinks and soda is especially important. Not only are these drinks a source of caffeine, but perhaps more importantly they are a source of lots of empty calories. Cutting out energy drinks and soda will be helpful to you not only by reducing caffeine but also by helping you control your weight and blood sugar through eliminating all those sugar calories. I would suggest that you set up a visit to talk to your primary care doctor about getting a healthy living plan in place, including cutting back on caffeine. Your annual physical might be a good time to talk about these things, or you could make a special appointment as well. When you start to cut back on caffeine, there are some withdrawal side effects that you may notice, particularly headache and feeling tired. You can minimize these effects by cutting back slowly and gradually. It is also helpful to have an exercise plan in place, as this will keep you feeling energized as you come off the caffeine. I recommend that you discuss this with your primary care doctor for more particular advice and help.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Robert Baratz
    Dr. Robert Baratz MD, DDS
    759 Granite St.
    Braintree, MA 02184
  • Dr. Norman Smith
    Dr. Norman Smith MD, FACP
    2905 Mitchellville Rd
    Bowie, MD 20716