ZocdocAnswersWhat is on my elbow?

Question

What is on my elbow?

There is a soft, small bump on my elbow. Right on the sharp pointy part of my bone. Is this something serious or just a calcium deposit or something like that? What kind of test could tell me what it is?

Answer

It is hard to know exactly what this small bump may be without taking a look at it. For this reason, it would be best for you to go see your primary care doctor, who will be able to examine the bump closely and come up with potential causes. One very common cause of bumps in this part of the body are small cysts. These are benign growths that occur under the skin. They tend to be soft and somewhat rubbery to firm in texture and they tend to move loosely under the skin when they are touched. Most of the time, there is no need to perform a specific test, as your doctor will be able to make the diagnosis just based on how the bump looks and feels. Other common causes of bumps on the elbow would include scar tissue or warts; your doctor will also be able to diagnose these conditions based on examination! Most of the time, bumps like this do not need to be treated. However, occasionally, if they grow significantly or if they look suspicious in any way, your doctor may recommend that you have the bump removed surgically, a procedure which is usually simple and can happen in the doctor's office.