ZocdocAnswersWhat causes hip pain?

Question

What causes hip pain?

There is an aching pain in both of my hips that actually gets worse when I am sitting down for long periods of time, like at work. Am I sitting wrong or is there something wrong with my hips? What does this sound like?

Answer

I would highly recommend that you get in to see your primary care doctor. Any persistent pain like this in the hip should be checked out, and your primary care doctor will be able to perform a thorough examination and help you figure out what is going on. There are several possibilities. For example, depending on your age and whether you have any other risk factors such as being overweight, wear and tear arthritis of the hip joints is common and can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. Another possible cause would be sacroileitis, which is an inflammation of the sacroiliac joint between the spine and the pelvic bones. This joint is frequently inflammed, particularly in those who spend a lot of time sitting down in one place. Finally, hip bursitis, or an inflammation of the fluid filled sacs that surround and cushion the hip joint is common. The pain tends to be more on the sides of the hips (as opposed to sacroileitis, which tends to be more pain in the buttocks). Start by getting in to see your primary care doctor as soon as you can!