ZocdocAnswersDo I have nerve damage if I have pain all over my body?

Question

Do I have nerve damage if I have pain all over my body?

I have little aches and pains all over my body for like a month. Does that mean that I have nerve damage? What is wrong with me?

Answer

Aches and pains are very common things to feel, and are often the sign of something else that may be occurring. Usually, they are not due to nerve damage, however. Myalgias is the medical term that is used to describe general feelings of achiness and soreness, and they are often an indication that there may be something else going on in your body, such as a viral illness or a reaction to a medication. The reason that they involve your entire body is usually because whatever is causing them is something systemic, again, such as a virus. Generally, we will all have these from time to time and they will go away by themselves. For example, even something as simple as a cold can leave you feeling sore and tired. When the myalgias persist for more than a short period of time, or if they seem to be increasing in their intensity, it is best to visit with your doctor to see if there is a reason for them that needs to be addressed medically. Some examples of this would include liver injury or auto-immune disease. While myalgias that go away quickly are usually not something medically significant, you should speak with your doctor to be safe.