Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is the scar on my back a keloid?"

ZocdocAnswersIs the scar on my back a keloid?


I had a mole removed from my back and now the scar is round and is like a raised bump. It has been there almost 9 months and has not gotten any smaller. Is this a keloid? What can I do about it?


It does sound like this might be a keloid. As you probably know from the research you have done already, a keloid is an area of scar tissue that growth fast and excessively. The result is usually a firm to slightly soft, round raised area of tissue at the site of an old skin injury, such as a piercing, burn, or cut. The best thing to do would be to go see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist about this issue. They will be able to examine the area and confirm that this is a keloid. If it is not a keloid, they will be able to consider alternative possibilities, such as a cyst. If this does turn out to be a keloid, your doctor will recommend potential treatments. For most simple keloids, the first type of treatment that will be tried is injected the area with a steroid medication to make the keloid shrink. In more complicated keloids, the area may need to be surgically removed, although this is tricky because care has to be taken to prevent the keloid from growing right back again. Regardless, start by setting up a visit with your primary doctor or your dermatologist today!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.