ZocdocAnswersWhy am I going to the bathroom so much?

Question

Why am I going to the bathroom so much?

I don't have diarrhea but I am going to the bathroom quite a bit lately. Why would I have to go more often if I don't have diarrhea?

Answer

There is a very wide range of bowel movement frequencies that physicians feel is still normal. For example, for some people it is normal to only have one bowel movement every 3 days. For others, it is normal to have a bowel movement 3 times per day. If you stool is a normal consistency, and you are having bowel movements less than 3 times per day, then I would say that you are still within normal limits. If your stools have changed their consistency, then there may be something going on. For example, if your stools have been more greasy or bad smelling lately, this may mean that you are developing a syndrome of intestinal malabsorption. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your description of your bowel movement frequency and to the description of your stools themselves. Your doctor will likely also want a sample of your stool to test it for fat and other contents that may suggest that you have a malabsorption syndrome. If nothing is found and your weight has been stable, then your doctor may decide to recommend a higher fiber diet and watch your symptoms. Good luck.