ZocdocAnswersCan you become addicted to diet pills?

Question

Can you become addicted to diet pills?

I want to take some diet pills so I can lose some weight quickly. Are they addictive? Will I get addicted even if I don't take them every day?

Answer

There are some diet pills that can be habit forming. Since there are so many different types, your best bet is to look at the label of the one that you are thinking of trying to see if addiction or habit forming is one of the side effects. In general, addiction is not our big concern when it comes to diet pills. The main concern that we as physicians have about them is their other side effects. Most diet pills are stimulants that can raise your blood pressure. They can also disrupt your sleeping patterns making it more difficult to get high quality sleep. The weight lost using diet pills is frequently gained back after the pills are stopped. For these reasons, we generally do not recommend them. Instead, making some key changes to your diet and implementing some exercise can produce better results. The best physician for you to consult about this problem is your primary care physician. He or she can listen to your plan for weight loss and help you make some adjustments to make sure that it is as healthy as possible. In addition, your doctor can give you a referral to see a nutritionist who can work out the details on how to lose weight in a healthy way.