Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Is there anything that can help someone grow taller?"

ZocdocAnswersIs there anything that can help someone grow taller?


I'm 22 years old and I want to be taller. I am very short and it is embarrassing. Is there anything I can do to grow taller or trigger a growth spurt?


The short answer is that it is very difficult to help someone grow taller. Assuming adequate nutrition and health have been maintained, it is nearly impossible to increase the height of a person without herculean effort. There are some surgical options, but these are generally very severe and not even offered unless there are extenuating circumstances. Most often, the height of a child will fall somewhere between the height of the father and the mother. If you seem to be much shorter than this, then speaking with your doctor may be an appropriate step. He or she can review your growth charts and note if there were any points where your growth began to deviate from the previous trajectory or from the normal. This may offer some suggestions to increase height, but this becomes somewhat difficult due to the usual fact that fusion of the growth plates occurs late in adolescence for most males. After that point, there is generally not much that can occur without surgical intervention to make the bones increase in length. Speaking with your doctor can still be of value, however, as this may help you to feel that your height is more normalized, or can offer suggestions to make you appear taller if needed. Please speak to your doctor.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.