ZocdocAnswersIs high blood pressure a disease?

Question

Is high blood pressure a disease?

I'm 30 years old and my family has high blood pressure. Is this a disease? Is high blood pressure curable or is it just a condition you have to deal with.

Answer

High blood pressure is one of the most common medical conditions in the world. It is often called the 'silent killer' because, although most of the time it does not produce any symptoms whatsoever, over the years a chronically high blood pressure greatly raises your risk of developing heart disease and other serious medical problems. High blood pressure is also strongly related to family history. Therefore, if you have members of your family that deal with high blood pressure, you are at much greater risk of also developing the condition at some point in your life. You should definitely talk to your primary care doctor about this issue. In fact, screening for high blood pressure and other similar conditions is one of the main things a primary care doctor does at an annual physical exam. So, if you have not had your annual physical in a while, scheduling one might be a good place to start. If your doctor does diagnose you with high blood pressure, they will discuss potential treatment options. These can include some dietary modifications, such as eliminating salt and alcohol, weight loss, smoking cessation and even, in some cases, medications. I suggest that you make the appointment today!