ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel like my heart stops sometimes?

Question

Why do I feel like my heart stops sometimes?

Sometimes I will be just standing there and it feels like my heart stops beating for a split second. Then everything is normal again. What is this? Something I should be worried about?

Answer

You should definitely go see your primary care doctor about this problem. Any persistent symptoms involving the heart need to be checked out by a doctor to make sure that there is no serious problem going on. The most common cause of feeling like your heart stops beating for a quick second are what are known as premature beats. Most healthy people will occasionally have premature beats, and these are often made worse with lots of caffeine consumption, for example coffee or soda or energy drinks. Therefore, if you notice an association between the symptoms and drinking caffeine, you may want to stop or cut down. However, there are other more serious heart conditions, especially problems with the electrical rhythm in the heart, that can give similar symptoms. Your doctor will be able to perform an examination of your heart to see if there are any concerning findings. They may also decide to perform an electrocardiogram, which is an electrical tracing of the heart, to see if anything shows up. When you go to see your doctor, make sure to mention if you have any other concerning symptoms, especially dizziness, shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pain, or fainting. Also make sure to mention any family history of heart problems. Good luck!