ZocdocAnswersIs it bad for you to hold urine in for a long period of time?

Question

Is it bad for you to hold urine in for a long period of time?

Because of my job sometimes I can't get to a bathroom for long periods of time during the day. Is this bad for me? I don't feel any pain from holding in my urine but I don't want to mess up my bladder or something.

Answer

The bladder is an organ of the body that is designed to store urine. Therefore, it can manage this function for hours at times, depending on the personal size of your bladder and also how much liquid you are taking in. Generally speaking, as long as you are perfectly comfortable and do not have any sensation of needing to urinate, then you are not pushing the capacity of your bladder and you should be fine. However, if you find yourself at times uncomfortable from a full bladder, then this is not a good situation. At least in theory, holding your bladder in these situations chronically might put you at risk of developing frequent urinary tract infections or a chronic inflammation of the bladder known as interstitial cystitis. Also, in men, holdin the bladder chronically can lead to prostatitis, which is an inflammation of the prostate gland. I suggest that you go see your primary care doctor about this. They will be able to evaluate you to make sure you do not have any of these complications. Also, they could write a letter to your job supervisor, if necessary, to make certain that you have adequate break time to go to the bathroom when you need to.