ZocdocAnswersWhat is this tingling feeling I have?

Question

What is this tingling feeling I have?

I have a tingling feeling in different parts of my body. Why? It can be anywhere from my face to my foot to my stomach. What could make my skin tingle like that?

Answer

There are many potential causes of tingling in the skin, and you will need to see your primary care doctor, who will be able to help you figure out what is going on. One very common cause if tingling in various parts of the skin is dryness or irritation of the skin. This is especially the case if you also have other symptoms of skin irritation, such as itching or areas of redness and dryness. If so you will want to avoid harsh soaps and other things that dry out the skin. You will also want to use a good skin moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated, and you will want to talk to your doctor to determine whether additional treatments, such as topical steroid creams, might be needed. Rarely, tingling sensations can be a sign of a more serious problem. For example, if you have tingling in one area of the body, this may be a sign of a stroke, especially if it is also accompanied by other symptoms, such as weakness of the muscles, headache or other serious symptoms. If you have any sudden onset of symptoms like this, this is a medical emergency and you need immediate attention. Otherwise, get in to see your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience.