ZocdocAnswersHow do you get rid of ringworm?

Question

How do you get rid of ringworm?

I think I have ringworm after reading some symptoms in an online article. How do I get rid of it? Do I have to get something from a doctor?

Answer

Ringworm, or dermatophytosis, is a condition caused by a fungal infection of the skin. It is an itchy ring shaped rash made up of round red scales, blisters or bumps. The center of the ring is clear. Ringworm is a very common and benign condition that is easily treated. If you are fairly certain that you have ringworm due to it's appearance, because you have had it before, or because someone you have been in contact with was recently diagnosed it is reasonable to attempt to treat it first before seeing a doctor. This is presuming that you are otherwise in good health and are having no other symptoms. The typical treatment is with an over the counter antifungal cream called clotrimazole. Apply it twice a day to the rash and the surrounding skin. It is important that you see your primary care doctor to have your skin examined if you do not see any improvement within a few days of this treatment as there are other conditions that can look similar to ringworm and it is important to get the correct diagnosis so that you can receive appropriate treatment. Also, keep the rash covered and wash your hands immediately after touching it as ringworm is very contagious. Please see your doctor soon!