What should I do if I think I have a stye?

There is something really itchy and a little bump in my eyelid. I think that it is a stye. It's been there for 4 days. How do you make it go away? What should I do if I have a stye?
From your description of the problem, it certainly does sound like it could be a stye. These are very common, and are usually only just annoyances that rapidly resolve with the proper treatment. Warm, moist compresses used multiple times throughout the day are generally the best treatment at this stage. If your problem persists or doesn't improve after doing this for a short period of time, it would be wise to speak with a physician to make sure that there is not something more significant going on. Often, styes that don't fully resolve can turn into chronic inflammatory lesions that will have some redness and may require other therapy in order to resolve. Other times it is not even a stye at all, and different therapy altogether is necessary to finally see improvement. Things that can be done to decrease your chances of having another one of these include keeping your face clean (this means either using less make up or cleaning it well at the end of each day). If you find that your problem persists or gets worse, please speak with your doctor about what else you can or should be doing.

• Dr. Curtis Scott Horn
    Dr. Curtis Scott Horn MD
    6402 N New Braunfels Ave
    San Antonio, TX 78209
  • Dr. Ashok Sinha
    Dr. Ashok Sinha DO
    1569 Buford Dr
    Lawrenceville, GA 30043
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024