ZocdocAnswersWhat can I do to make my skin less oily?

Question

What can I do to make my skin less oily?

My skin is very oily especially in my face and neck. What can I do about this? Is there any way I can dry my skin out? I'm worried about getting an acne outbreak.

Answer

Oil on the skin of the face and neck is produced by oil glands in the skin. The amount of oil your skin produces is determined by your personal genetics for the most part, and you are right that excessive oil can lead to clogging of pores in the skin, which can predispose to acne. The best approach to oily skin is to use a gentle cleansing regimen on a daily basis. You also want to consider if there are factors, such as the use of lots of makeup, that might be contributing to a buildup of oily debris on the skin. If so, you may want to consider using less makeup or switching to a different brand. One major error that people with oily skin make is to try drying the skin out too much with astringents like alcohol or with strong soaps. This actually dries out the skin too much, which irritates the oil glands in the skin and can paradoxically make the oiliness worse by stimulating more oil production. In addition to these common home remedies, you should see your primary care doctor or a dermatologist, especially if the symptoms persist, as they will be able to provide you with more advice for treating the condition.