How often do people that suffer from migraine headaches get them?

I went to the doctor the day after I had a really bad headache and he said it was probably a migraine. How often do people that have migraine headaches get them? Is there any way I can prevent them from happening if I feel one coming on?
Migraines affect everyone differently but the typical migraine ranges in intensity from moderate to severe and is usually only on one side of the head. They are typically accompanied by nausea and sensitivity to light and sound. The frequency of migraines varies drastically from only a few in a lifetime to almost every day in the very unlucky. Migraines can be triggered by many different things so it can be very helpful to think of what you were doing the day of or before your headache to see if there was anything that could have set off the pain. Lack of sleep and stress are very common triggers. Often diet can be a trigger as well, including caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, and cheese. Many women experience a migraine around the time of their menstrual period as well. If you start to feel a migraine coming on.it is important to try to lay down in a quiet room. You can try taking an over the counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen or Excedrin. Be sure to make an appointment with your primary care provider to discuss your headache and what measures you can take to prevent them. If your migraines become frequent you may need to see a neurologist.

Other Neurologists