ZocdocAnswersWhy do my muscles feel weak?

Question

Why do my muscles feel weak?

The muscles in both of my arms have felt really weak for about a month. Is this something I should go to the doctor about? What causes someone's muscles to just feel weak all of the sudden?

Answer

Yes, I definitely recommend that you go to a see your primary care doctor about this. The list of potential causes of your muscle weakness complaint is quite long, and some of the items on the list are serious medical problems. Therefore, you deserve a full evaluation, especially since the symptoms have not resolved in a month. Your doctor will start by performing an objective examination of your nerves and muscles, looking for any signs of obvious weakness, sensation problems, or signs of muscle wasting or inflammation. They will probably also want to perform some basic blood work, looking for signs of muscle damage and hormone or electrolyte imbalance. One of the most common causes of muscle weakness would be a problem with the thyroid gland, which is one of the things that your doctor can look for easily with blood work. The blood work will also help to rule out inflammatory or autoimmune conditions of the muscles. Your doctor's neurological examination will help to rule out neurological causes of the problem, although more testing, including images of the brain, may be needed if the neurological examination is not normal. Set up a visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible!