ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best form of daily exercise?

Question

What is the best form of daily exercise?

I'm getting a bit older (42) and I am overweight, starting to feel really unhealthy. What is the best exercise if I were to do it every day? Like what is the safest way to stay healthy and what are the best exercises?

Answer

Kudos to you for taking charge of your health by a thoughtful evaluation of your weight and activity level. You are absolutely correct that being overweight can have significant adverse effects on your overall health and energy level. Maintaining a healthy weight will help you stay active and engaged with life in the decades to come. Before starting a new exercise regiment, it is always a good idea to see your primary care physician. Given your age you are at a slightly increased risk of cardiac or joint problems, and it is always a good idea to make sure that you are cleared for activity and up to date on all of your screening exams. Your physician may even be able to refer you to weight loss or nutrition programs, as some medical practices have these resources available for patients. When it comes to exercise, the best way to lose weight and improve your cardiac health is regular aerobic exercise: this can be walking, hiking, running, riding a bike, swimming, using the stair climber at the gym, dancing....anything that gets your heart rate up and maintains it there. Choosing the right activity for you is a question of what sort of activity you enjoy the most. Again, please discuss with your doctor soon - and best of luck with this important decision to help improve your health!