Why did I get a boil on my face?

I recently had a boil on my face that had to be lanced. It is healing okay but I certainly don't want another one. How did I get the boil? Any way to prevent another one on another part of my body?
I am sorry to hear that you had to go through this experience. As you probably know by now, a boil is a skin infection that occurs when bacteria invade under the skin and cause a pocket of pus to form. Usually there is significant pain, redness, and swelling, and as in your case many times the boils have to be opened by a doctor so that they can drain and heal. Most of the the, having one single boil does not mean that you will be at higher risk of developing another one down the road. This doesn't mean however that you shouldn't take care of your skin. In particular, you should avoid picking or squeezing at pimples, as this might lead to skin infection and a boil. Similarly, in some people frequent shaving or hair removal might be a factor which predisoposes to boils. If you start to develop recurrent boils or other skin infections, this is definitely something that you need to talk to your doctor about, as sometimes recurrent skin infections require special preventative or treatment measures. Also, you should follow up with your primary care doctor about the current boil that you just had lanced, regardless, to make sure that it is healing well.

• Dr. Paul Leitner
    Dr. Paul Leitner MD
    8540 South Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90045
  • Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa
    Dr. Danilo Hoyumpa MD
    13919 Nacogdoches Rd
    San Antonio, TX 78217
  • Dr. Brian Price
    Dr. Brian Price MD
    3607 Manor Rd
    Austin, TX 78723