ZocdocAnswersDo I have jumper's knee?

Question

Do I have jumper's knee?

I play tennis around 3 or 4 times a week. I have started getting pain around my left knee cap and I think it is probably from too much tennis. My friend mentioned it could be jumper's knee? What is this and how can I help treat it?

Answer

Jumper's knee is a very common type of knee injury that typically occurs in people that are vigorously active, particularly if the jump, bend, or twist at the knee frequently while exercising. The condition results primarily in pain in the tendon below the kneecap, as well as stiffness when bending the knee. Since the injury occurs from overuse, it typically is treated with rest and anti inflammatory medications; physical therapy and stretching exercises may also be needed. There are several other very common knee injuries that can also occur in physically active people. For example, patello femoral pain syndrome (runner's knee) is often confused with jumper's knee. However, the pain tends to be more diffuse in the knee, and there is more pain with climbing stairs or sitting. There is also often a "creaking" sensation when the kneecap moves. Although it is treated in much the same way as jumper's knee, the exercises that might be used to recuperate are slightly different. Also, it is important to rule out a serious ligament injury, such as a ligament tear, whenever sports that involve a lot of stopping and starting and twisting occurs. Because there are several potential causes of your knee pain, you will need to go see a doctor to figure out exactly what is going on. I suggest that you go see your primary care doctor or a sports medicine doctor as soon as possible.