ZocdocAnswersCan you be allergic to condoms?

Question

Can you be allergic to condoms?

Whenever my boyfriend and I use a condom when we have sex I have some pain and irritation in my vagina afterward for a day or so. Could I be allergic to condoms? It doesn't happen when he doesn't wear a condom.

Answer

What kind of condom are you using? Is it latex? If the condom is made of latex, it is possible that you are allergic to the condoms. Allergies to latex are increasingly common. If you are truly allergic to latex condoms, you could experience redness, soreness, dryness, itchiness, eczema and/or skin rash, and these allergic symptoms are usually severe. The allergic reactions tend to develop either immediately after first contact with latex or after repeated exposure. If it is determined that the source is a latex allergy, there are non-latex condoms that you should consider switching. These condoms are made of soft plastic material or polyurethane ones that are unlikely to cause allergic reactions. Do you also use lubricant? If so, it is another possibility. Personally, I have not seen any patients who are allergic to lubricants, but it is possible. You can purchase unlubricated condoms or use water-based lubricant. Water-based lubricant works well with any condom brand and is unlikely to cause allergy in sensitive individuals. I hope you find the information helpful. But if you need further information or more help in figuring out whether or not you are allergic to condoms and/or lubricants, I would recommend a consultation with a primary care physician.