ZocdocAnswersHow do you lower your blood pressure?

Question

How do you lower your blood pressure?

Went to the doctor and when they took my blood pressure they said it is a little high but nothing to worry about. I'm only 34 though. How can I lower my blood pressure safely so I don't have problems in the future?

Answer

A great number of studies have shown that high blood pressure increases a person's risk of future cardiovascular events such as heart disease and stroke. For this reason, it is important to work with your doctor to make sure that blood pressure is well-controlled over time, whether through pharmacologic or non-pharmacologic therapy. Studies have shown that well-rounded diets low in high-sodium foods, routine cardiovascular exercise, and weight loss can also help individuals drop a few points in blood pressure. However, often these improvements do not amount to a great enough absolute reduction in blood pressure to reduce one's overall risk of adverse events. In these cases, the use of anti-hypertensive medication may be warranted. Studies have shown different benefits for each class of medications, and your doctor can help you decide if in fact you should be on a medication to keep your blood pressure in the normal range, and which type of medication would be best for you as an individual. Again, please see your doctor to develop a plan around this issue.