Can you have too many sweat glands?

My armpits sweat a lot, even when I am not hot I will sweat. Do I have too many sweat glands? What else could make me sweat that much? I'm not fat.
Hyperhidrosis is the medical name for sweating too much or inappropriately. This can happen to thin people, as well as when the weather is cool. It is often associated with anxiety and other similar conditions, which do provide some obvious methods for treatment. Topical treatment involves the use of anti-moisture deoderants. These help some people by decreasing blood flow to the area, which helps to decrease sweat production. Others will benefit from medical therapy, as there are medications that can work indirectly to decrease anxiety or directly to decrease stimulation of the affected areas. Next, local injections of botox have been found to be effective at reducing the amount of sweating. Finally, some people will benefit from having a surgical procedure where the sympathetic supply of the sweat glands is destroyed. Your doctor will be able to recommend the appropriate therapy for you, and will usually begin with conservative approaches first. He or she may perform some testing to determine how much sweating you do prior to beginning any specific therapy. Please speak with your doctor about your problem, and understand that there are many people that seek therapy and there are multiple options available.

Other Neurologists