ZocdocAnswersWhy does my head feel soft?

Question

Why does my head feel soft?

My head feels soft in the back on the left side. It feels like if I push on it it kind of stays that way for a second, like I can make an indentation in it. Should I be nervous? What is going on?

Answer

There are a number of different things that might lead to soft tissue swelling on your head (which is what it sounds like you are describing). The fact that you say you can push on your head and make an indentation that does not go away for a couple seconds sounds like you are describing pitting edema. Pitting edema usually happens in the legs or feet, and occurs when the fluid that leaks out at the tissue interface between your arteries and veins accumulates within the tissue. Usually this is taken up by something called the lymphatic system. This kind of swelling can also be the result of "leaky" blood vessels from a source of inflammation like an allergic-type reaction (like a bug bite or bee sting) or from infection. There is a soft tissue infection called a cellulitis which can become quite serious if not treated early. Especially if there are complicating factors such as diabetes. I would recommend making an appointment with an ENT (ear nose throat) physician to get checked out. They should be able to examine you and tell you better what might be going on. Best of luck.