Why does my head feel soft?

My head feels soft in the back on the left side. It feels like if I push on it it kind of stays that way for a second, like I can make an indentation in it. Should I be nervous? What is going on?
There are a number of different things that might lead to soft tissue swelling on your head (which is what it sounds like you are describing). The fact that you say you can push on your head and make an indentation that does not go away for a couple seconds sounds like you are describing pitting edema. Pitting edema usually happens in the legs or feet, and occurs when the fluid that leaks out at the tissue interface between your arteries and veins accumulates within the tissue. Usually this is taken up by something called the lymphatic system. This kind of swelling can also be the result of "leaky" blood vessels from a source of inflammation like an allergic-type reaction (like a bug bite or bee sting) or from infection. There is a soft tissue infection called a cellulitis which can become quite serious if not treated early. Especially if there are complicating factors such as diabetes. I would recommend making an appointment with an ENT (ear nose throat) physician to get checked out. They should be able to examine you and tell you better what might be going on. Best of luck.

• Dr. Jonathan Berman
    Dr. Jonathan Berman MD, FACS
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    670 Glades Road
    Boca Raton, FL 33431
  • Dr. Daniel Leeman
    Dr. Daniel Leeman MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    3607 Manor Road
    Austin, TX 78723
  • Dr. Haitham Masri
    Dr. Haitham Masri MD
    Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor
    13530 Michigan Ave
    Dearborn, MI 48126