ZocdocAnswersWhat can you do when you wake up with puffy and tired eyes every morning?

Question

What can you do when you wake up with puffy and tired eyes every morning?

For the last two weeks I think I tend to wake up feeling worse than the night before. My eyes are being all tired and feel swollen.

Answer

I would highly recommend that you go to see your primary care doctor about this issue, especially given that symptoms have been so persistent over the last few weeks. They will be able to perform a complete physical examination, and help you get to the bottom of what might be going on. The first issue that needs to be sorted out is whether you are having symptoms of insomnia, or trouble sleeping. If so, this might make your eyes seem puffy in the mornings, but treatment would focus on figuring out why you are having trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. Causes of insomnia are very numerous, and can include various medications, stress, and over consumption of caffeine or alcohol. On the other hand, if the issue is not a problem with sleep but rather that you have swelling or itching of the eyes, then your doctor will need to consider problems like various indoor allergies that could be causing your symptoms of eye discomfort. Regardless, the first step would be a physical examination by your doctor. Based on what they find, they will be able to suggest treatments for either insomnia or for your eye complaint. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon.