ZocdocAnswersHow does it take for swelling from a head injury to go down?

Question

How does it take for swelling from a head injury to go down?

i had a mason block thrown at my head and had 7 staples. its been 2 weeks, the area is still swollen and i still have a pretty large lump there. how long will it take for it to go down?

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you had this injury, but it does sound at least that the good news is that you did not suffer a potentially more serious head injury. This is an issue that will definitely need to be followed closely by your primary care doctor however, just to make sure that there are no long term problems from the blow to the head. It also sounds like you probably had quite a bruise with the injury, which would explain why the area is still swollen with a lump. Bruises can take weeks to resolve completely, so it is not surprising that you still have some swelling. However, sometimes these injuries can become infected with pus accumulation, or there can be leakage and collection of tissue fluid under the wound. Therefore, I strongly suggest that you either go to see your primary care doctor or that you see the doctor who put the staples in in the first place. They will be able to take a look at the area to make sure that there is no collection of pus or liquid and that there are no signs of infection. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling better soon!