Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"My right breast has had two sores, and is very tender and aches. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersMy right breast has had two sores, and is very tender and aches. What should I do?


The sores have healed almost gone but the breast is very sore abd hey were like blister looking. They healed and have a slight scar but I think eventually that will go away. I live with my brother and always where my bra now. Do you think that always wearing this that it caused it or should I have this looked at by a doctor. Cancer does run in my family very heavily and breast cancer also. Please help


It is unusual for someone to get sores on the breast from wearing bras. If you are over 40 years of age and you have not had a recent clinical breast exam by a doctor, you should have that done right away. Based on your description, I think inflammatory breast cancer has to first be ruled out, especially in light of the fact that cancer runs in your family. Breast cancer in its advanced form can present like sores and ulcerated lesions on your breast. These sores or ulcers do not readily heal. There are many risk factors for breast cancer including smoking, older age, radiation, and breast cancer genes like BRCA1, BRCA2. Patients with these genes can develop breast cancer, ovarian, and uterine cancer at a very young age. It is recommended for patients who develop breast cancer at an early age or if they have relatives (mothers, aunts, sisters) who have breast cancer. It is important to know your risk factors as this can determine the type of screening exam and scheduling follow up you need to detect cancer at its earliest stage. Usually this includes clinical breast exam, mammograms, ultrasounds, and sometimes an MRI of the breast in cases where the breast tissue is too dense. You definitely should see a primary care doctor for an examination and possibly mammogram if you have not gotten one.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.