Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What are the blisters I have around my toes?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat are the blisters I have around my toes?


I have these painless things around the bottom parts of my toes where they meet my feet. What are they? Are they blisters or something else? They are little bumps that are the same color of my skin.


There are a lot of different potential explanations for these bumps that you have on the bottoms of your feet, and it is difficult to be specific without having a better description. Nevertheless, here are some ideas. If the spots are tiny, around the size of a pin head, and numerous, then one possibility would be dyshidrotic eczema, a condition in which inflammation of the skin leads to small blisters under the skin which occasionally coalesce to form itching, peeling areas. Another possibility, if the spots are larger and thicker, is that they are small calluses form from friction with the bottom of your shoes. Yet another possibility is that this is athlete's foot, which is a fungal infection of the skin of the feet, typically characterized by areas of yellowed skin that may itch, crack, peel, or give off an unpleasant odor. The best thing to do, since there are several possibilities, all with very distinct treatments, would be to set up a visit with your primary care doctor at your earliest convenience. They will be able to diagnose the condition formally and, based on what they find, they will help you figure out what type of treatment is most suited for your case. Good luck with this!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.