Is it possible that I have OCD?

How do you get diagnosed with OCD? I keep having these thoughts that something is wrong with my body but I know that nothing is really wrong and there is no pain or anything like that. Is it OCD? How do I found out if I have that?
OCD, or obsessive compulsive disorder, is a quite common psychiatric disorder which is characterized by a variety of symptoms, including intrusive thoughts and compulsions as well as, often, repetitive actions or habits (think about constantly washing your hands, for example, as the most classic example). An important feature of OCD is that it tends to cause a lot of impairment in various domains, such as relationships, school, or work. If you are having recurrent intrusive thoughts, or if you are subject to the need to perform repetitive actions or habits, then you may have OCD. This is something that you would need to talk about at length with either a psychiatrist or your primary care doctor. They will be able to assess the full range of your symptoms and help figure out what is going on. It is also possible that you are simply suffering from stress or anxiety, manifesting as constant worrying that you are sick or that there is something wrong with your body. These are also issues that you should talk to either a psychiatrist or your primary care doctor, as they will be able to assess whether you need to begin any form of treatment, whether therapy, counseling, or medications. Good luck!

Other Psychiatrists