ZocdocAnswersCould I be anemic?

Question

Could I be anemic?

I have a lot of body pain in my bones and muscles and I have lost a lot of weight over the last few months. My doctor did some blood work but I still haven't gotten the results. Is it possible that I am anemic?

Answer

These symptoms sound very concerning to me, and I think you did the right thing to go see your doctor about this issue. The combination of weight loss and bad all - over aches and pains for several months does suggest that you have some problem that needs to be diagnosed and treated quickly. The list of conditions that could cause the symptoms that you mention is very long, and in part depends on how old you are, your gender, and what other medical problems you might be dealing with. Anemia, which is a condition in which the number of red blood cells in the body is diminished, may be part of what you are dealing with, but I suspect that, even if you are anemic, that the anemia is just another symptom of whatever the main problem is, much like the bone and muscle pains and weight loss are symptoms. I suggest that you make a followup appointment with the doctor who took the blood work, if you have not already done so. Once all of the lab tests are in, they will be able to sit down with you and go over the results and decide what the next best step will be.