ZocdocAnswersWhat does it mean if my whole body feels shaky?

Question

What does it mean if my whole body feels shaky?

Sometimes my whole body just feels shaky. I don't actually shake, but I have a weird feeling like something is off. Almost like the chills when you have a fever but not quite because I don't feel hot or cold. What's happening with my body?

Answer

This is a very vague symptom, which means that you will probably need the help of a doctor to figure things out. I would recommend that you start by seeing your primary care doctor, especially if you have not seen anyone about this problem yet. They will be able to perform a general examination and help determine whether you need to perform additional testing or see a specialist. One potential problem that I can think of is something called hyperthyroidism. This is a condition in which the thyroid gland becomes over active. Symptoms of an over active thyroid gland can include nervousness, shakiness, racing heart beat, weight loss, and sweating or sensations of feeling very warm. Hyperthyroidism can be easily diagnosed after a physical examination and some simple blood tests which your doctor can set up for you. Another common cause of 'shakiness' is side effects from various medications. Make sure to tell your doctor all the medications you are taking, especially if you recently started a new medication, and they will make sure none of them are causing your symptoms. Once again, make an appointment at your earliest convenience with your primary care doctor!