Book now. It's free!

Is there an effective way to get rid of acne scars?

I have some acne scars on my cheeks that are really embarrassing. Is there any way to get them to go away? I don't want to have surgery or anything but is there any other way to make them clear up?
I am sorry to hear that you have scarring from your former acne. If the scars are deep, this can be a significant cosmetic problem. The doctor who would be best able to answer your questions about how to treat your acne scars would be a dermatologist, so I suggest that you make an appointment with one at your earliest conveniences. Treatment for acne scars depends in part on what type of scars you have. For example, deep "ice pick" scars can generally only be treated surgically, because the scars are too deep to remove without cutting them out entirely. On the other hand, the "rolling" scars that are more typical of bad acne do respond to various treatments, most of which have as their basis removing superficial layers of skin in order to stimulate regeneration and new skin growth. Some of these techniques include medium or deep chemical peels, dermal micro abrasion, and laser resurfacing methods. Each of these methods has its own advantages and disadvantages and they also vary in the amount of 'downtime' that is required at home after treatment in order to allow the skin to heal up. Your dermatologist will be able to discuss all your options with you and help you decide which is best for you.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!