Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do about the red bumps under my eyes?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about the red bumps under my eyes?


There are bunch of little red bumps under both of my eyes that sometimes itch. I think it is allergies but I don't know. Sure doesn't look like pimples or anything. What is this?


I would suggest that you go to see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist about this issue. They will be able to take a look at the bumps and quickly think through the potential causes of the rash. Based on what they discover, they will recommend an appropriate treatment regime. One of the conditions that your doctor will think about is something called eczema. This is a condition in which the skin becomes overly dry, leading to itching, redness, and scaling. The condition can be usually well treated with good facial moisturizing combined with applying a steroid cream to the spots when they flare up. However, steroid creams shouldn't be used on the face without talking to your doctor first, as they can lead to thinning of the skin; therefore, start with a visit to your doctor and a formal diagnosis before you try this approach. Another possibility would be contact dermatitis, which is a reaction of the skin to some allergen or chemical that you are sensitive to. In addition to trying to identify the offending agent and remove it, contact dermatitis is otherwise treated in much the same was as eczema. Start by seeing your doctor at your earliest convenience.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.