ZocdocAnswersWill antibiotics cure my chronic sinusitis?

Question

Will antibiotics cure my chronic sinusitis?

I have chronic sinusitis and pressure in my nose and face. Will antibiotics cure it or do I have to do something else? I just don't think if it is chronic that the medication will help.

Answer

Chronic sinus congestion is one of the most common medical problems that is dealt with on a daily basis by primary care doctors. Therefore, if you have not sat down and talked with your primary care doctor about this issue, I strongly suggest that you do. The first step in treating chronic sinus congestion is to reduce the inflammation and mucus inside the nasal passages. Your doctor can take a look inside your nose and, after confirming the diagnosis, suggest an appropriate medication for you. Some of the most commonly used medications include anti histamines such as Claritin (loratidine) or Zyrtec (cetirizine) as well as nasal steroid sprays such as mometasone (Nasonex) and fluticasone (Flonase). In addition to these medications, another thing that can be very helpful is to perform daily nasal saline washes using one of several commercially available systems, including the Nettipot system. Your doctor can help you decide if one of these is right for you. Similarly, avoiding the allergens such as mites or mold that provoke the symptoms can be helpful (for example, getting a mattress cover if you are allergic to mites can make a big difference). Finally, rarely, antibiotics are used to treat sinusitis flares, but these do not form the mainstay of treatment. Ask your doctor what treatment is right for you!