Find in-network doctors and make an appointment now!

Why do I have tiny bumps on the palms of my hand?

There are little white bumps on the palms of my hand. They will go away but then come back a few days later. Don't itch but I don't know what they are. Where did they come from?
The most common cause of small bumps on the palms of the hands is something called dyshidrotic eczema. In this condition, the skin on the palms (or the soles of the feet) becomes irritated, and the initial symptoms are small firm blisters under the skin, about the size of a pinhead, which may be either whitish or clear in appearance. If the inflammation and irritation continues, these blisters may coalesce to lead to areas of peeling and itching skin. No one exactly knows what causes dyshidrotic eczema, but it is made worse by stress and by swings in temperature. It is also worse in those who have their hands immersed chronically in water (think dishwashers) or chemicals. For these reasons, part of the treatment of dishydrotic involves regulating stress, keeping the hands well moisturized, and protecting them from water and chemicals through the use of gloves. Most cases of dyshidrotic eczema, however, will also require prescription steroid creams from a primary care doctor or a dermatologist in order to clear up completely. I recommend that you make an appointment to see your primary doctor about this issue at your earliest convenience. They will be able to confirm the diagnosis, or suggest alternative diagnoses, and provide you with the appropriate treatment.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!