ZocdocAnswersWhy is the skin on my eyelids dry?

Question

Why is the skin on my eyelids dry?

I have dry skin, but it is only on my eyelids. Why would my eyelids be dry? Is it safe to put lotion on your eyelids or would that be bad for a person's eyes?

Answer

I recommend that you go see your primary care doctor or your dermatologist about this issue. I say this because there are several different things that could be going on, and your doctor will be able to make a diagnosis and suggest an appropriate treatment. Sometimes, as you suggest this is just dry skin. If so, applying a gentle moisturizer to the area should be safe and should help clear things up. However, sometimes these dry areas are actually the result of eczema, in which case a steroid cream may be needed; since steroid creams can be dangerous on the face, it is best to get a doctor's input prior to using one. Additionally, if the dryness is mostly just on the edge of the eyelid, along where the eyelashes come out, then this might be something known as blepharitis. Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelid edge, and its treatment is distinct, focusing on warm compresses and daily eyelid cleansing. It may also be necessary to discontinue eye makeups or any other personal care products that might be contributing to the problem. Start by setting up an office visit with your doctor at your earliest convenience, and good luck!