ZocdocAnswersHow can I avoid overheating when I exercise?

Question

How can I avoid overheating when I exercise?

I starting playing basketball a few days a week at a local gym in order to get in shape. Problem is, I get extremely overheated when I exercise and play basketball. I know its normal to get hot and sweaty, but it feels like my body is in an oven! How can I prevent this overheated feeling?

Answer

First of all, congratulations on starting to exercise regularly at the gym! This is a major step towards a healthier lifestyle, as regular exercise is one of the most important things you can do to maintain a healthy weight and promote a healthy heart over the years to come. Each person has a number of individually determined genetic factors which govern how much the sweat when the exercise. Therefore, there is unlikely to be much you can do to change the way your body sweats, although if you keep exercising regularly there may be some slow adaptations your body does make. The important thing is to make sure you do not become dehydrated because of the sweating. Make sure to drink plenty of liquids before, during, and after your exercise sessions. Finally, you can and should always talk to your primary care doctor about issues like this. Although it is fairly uncommon, excessive sweating and feeling warm and flushed may be a sign of an underlying medical problem, such as an over active thyroid gland, which might need some treatment.