ZocdocAnswersDoes celiac disease go away?

Question

Does celiac disease go away?

My doctor said that my stomach issues could be due to celiac disease which is an allergy to gluten. Will this ever go away or will I have to deal with it forever? Is there medicine I can take?

Answer

First of all, it would be important to get a formal diagnosis of celiac disease before you worry too much. Celiac disease is definitely one cause of stomach issues, but there are also many other potential causes. Therefore, before beginning treatment for celiac disease, your doctor will want to confirm this as a diagnosis by checking some specialized blood tests which can either rule in or rule out celiac disease. If these tests are negative, you will need to investigate for other causes of your stomach issues. If, on the other hand, they are positive, then you can start to work with your primary care doctor (or a gastroenterologist) to figure out how best to treat your celiac disease. As you have already figure out, celiac disease is an allergy to gluten, which is a protein found in wheat and some other grains. Treating celiac disease mostly involves working to eliminate all forms of gluten from your diet. This can be somewhat difficult, because gluten is 'hidden' in many foods. However, with help from your doctor you will be able to develop a gluten free diet. Unfortunately, celiac disease doesn't go away, but the symptoms should completely resolve once you eliminate gluten from your diet.